The Problems Fire Ants Bring To Riverside County Properties
July 15, 2020 - Ants
When was the last time you were able to go outside and walk around your yard barefoot without fear? If fire ants are currently occupying your property, chances are you don't go out often or at least are cautious when you do; this is no way to live. Your property is yours. You shouldn't have to share it with aggressive pests. If you are tired of avoiding certain parts of your yard for fear of fire ants, we are here today to help. Here are the problems fire ants bring to Riverside County properties and what you should be doing to stop them.
The Danger Of Fire Ants
The biggest problem fire ants cause is with the way they attack people. It is easy to walk into these pests without realizing what you are doing until it's too late. What makes things worse is that fire ants do not just bite. They also sting. In fact, it is their sting that causes the burning sensation you feel after these pests attack. This sensation can last for ten minutes and is usually followed by up to a week of itching and dull pain.
Fire Ants Are Destructive
When people think of fire ants, they first and foremost think about the pain they cause. What they don't consider is the amount of damage these pests do to lawns. As colonies of fire ants spread, so do their dirt mounds. These mounds suffocate nearby grass leaving dead spots. In addition to this, tunnels constructed by fire ants beneath the surfaces disturb grass's natural ecosystem, causing it to become unhealthy.
Do Fire Ants Invade Homes?
The one upside to fire ants is that they do not invade homes as frequently as other area pests. The only time they will consider coming indoors is when conditions outdoors become unfavorable to their survival. If one of our winters is particularly cold or a coastal storm washes through, you might start noticing these pests around your living areas.
How To Prevent Fire Ants
If your yard and home are not currently crawling with fire ants, now is the time to put in place fire ant prevention methods to keep these pests at bay in Riverside. To help you with this, try these simple exclusion tips and tricks.
- Thoroughly inspect your home's exterior foundation for cracks, gaps, and holes. Seal off these entry points using caulk or some liquid cement.
- Check your home's weatherstripping, door sweeps, and window and door screens to make sure they are in good condition.
- Make sure your outdoor trash cans have tight-fitting lids so that fire ants cannot get inside them for food.
- Avoid feeding your pets outdoors, as you might also accidentally feed fire ants.
- Pick up fruits, berries, and vegetables that drop into your yard.
- Clean up thoroughly after outdoor gatherings making sure not to leave out any food scraps or open drink containers.
- Address moisture issues around your home by fixing damaged gutters and eliminating sources of water buildup.
A Better Answer To Fire Ants
Fire ants are notoriously difficult pests to eliminate because they split their colonies when faced with danger. If you are tired of dealing with these painful pests around your Riverside County property, what you need is professional pest control services. At Power Pros Pest Control, we offer both year-round protection and single-service elimination options for fire ants.
Contact us today by phone to learn more about our comprehensive pest control solutions in Riverside and schedule your property for a fire ant treatment.
Learn more about our home pest control and commercial pest control solutions.